Nominations are encouraged for those volunteering in the areas of community service, human service, recreational sports, environmental service, arts and culture. People who have been nominated previously for Leading Lights, but who have not won the award, MAY BE NOMINATED AGAIN. Indeed, re-nomination is encouraged. (Members of the Board of Directors of NRV Leading Lights are ineligible for nomination while serving.)
At least one community volunteer in each of counties of the New River Valley and the City of Radford will be honored. Two awards will be presented in both the high school and college categories.
Nominations for 2017 – 2018 are no closed. Nominations are accepted ONLY online. Individual nominations are sought (couple nominations are accepted, but group nominations are NOT). The deadline for nominations receipt was midnight, Sunday, March 11, 2018.Thank you to everyone who submitted a nomination for the 2018 award ceremony!
NRV Leading Lights Award Selection Criteria
- Commitment to Volunteerism. Nominee devotes a significant amount of available time to community involvement.
- Achievement. The nomination must reflect the actual accomplishment achieved through voluntary service—what got done?
- Community Need. The service performed must address community or human needs – why is the nominee’s area of service important?
- Special Aspects. The nomination must reflect the special aspects of the nominee’s community service. How did the nominee demonstrate leadership of an existing program or show initiative in beginning a new venture?
- Ongoing Involvement. Nominee demonstrates ongoing rather than a one-time activity, with the exception of outstanding service in crisis situations, which may be short-term.
- Impact. Nominee should have directly improved the lives of others. What has been changed as a result of the community service?